Manitoba Auctioneers Association Code of Ethics
Whereas the members of Manitoba Auctioneers Association recognize that the success and growth of the auction business are dependent upon that and sincerity of each and every member of the auction profession: and Whereas it has come to the attention of the Convention of Auctioneers duly assembled in the City of Brandon on March 4, 2000: that because of the absence of an approved and specific formulas to serve as a guide in the matter of conduct, the profession has suffered reproach and loss of prestige: andWhereas by adoption of these resolutions, embodying a reasonable code of ethics, and by reason of the publics approval of such action by this Convention; and by general and continuous observance of the precepts herein contained, by all members of the organization; recognition of the auction profession as a dependable and necessary method of marketing is assured.
Therefore be it resolved: that with the view to fulfillment of the objects and purposes of the Manitoba Auctioneers Association as set forth in its by-laws, the following code be approved and adopted for the future guidance of the members.
- Members of the association shall conduct themselves with propriety in all of their dealing with clients and with one another. A professional manner shall be used by all auction companies and staff at all times.
- Members operating in the same areas as other members shall co-operate with one another in the scheduling of sales for the purpose of avoiding, when practical, conflicting situations which might create dissention and result in disadvantage to clients and members alike.
- Members shall diligently adhere to the policy of honest dealing – with both clients and bidders, avoiding misrepresentation of property or articles being sold; avoiding cause for challenge of favoritism among purchasers, and conditions governing: seeking to obtain maximum values.
- Members of Manitoba Auctioneers Association hereby register their absolute disapproval of any auction designed to defraud the public.
- Members are expected to comply with all federal, provincial, and/or city ordinances pertaining to auctioneers.
- Any alleged violation of this code by a member of the Manitoba Auctioneers Association shall subject that member to an investigation by the board of Manitoba Auctioneers Association, whose findings and recommendations shall prevail.
Be it further resoved: that a copy of this resolution be placed in the permanent records of the Manitoba Auctioneers Association; and that each member be furnished with a copy; also, that the public press be apprised of its contents.